Here, as a result of extensive testing over decades, is a list of my top five pizzerias in Bay Ridge:
- Grandma's Original Pizza, 6918 Third Avenue, 718-833-4646. Everything here is of championship caliber, but my favorites are a) Grandmama's Pizza, a crispy thin crust square, with mozzarella, marinara sauce, fresh basil, olive oil, topped off with sharp romano cheese, and b) margherita pizza ( similar to grandmama's but a from a large round pie that isn't crisp.) Fabulous.
- Pizza Wagon, Fifth Avenue, off 86th Street. Great round pie. Good square.
- Rocco's, 79th Street and Fifth Avenue. Great round pie. Good square.
- Lento's. Ovington and Third Avenues. Serving very good thin crust pizza on ancient wood tables since the 1930s.
- Elegante, Fifth Avenue, between 69th and Ovington. Bare-bones, but a good salty slice essentially unchanged since the mid 1960s.