January 10, 2006

Lento's Closed...



( updated twice )
I haven't confirmed it officially but it is almost certain that Lento's Restaurant has closed.

I called their number repeatedly Monday, with no answers.

Walked down there Monday night, and for the second night in a row, it was shuttered. And in the window, a " For Rent " sign.

I can't possibly understand this. They were locally famous for their thin-crust pizza. Zagats spoke well of it. This restaurant, at the corner of Ovington and Third Avenues since 1933, still did good business as far as I can tell.

I stopped at the Village Fruit Market across the corner, and the man behind the counter tells me that Lento's closed on Saturday.

I'm not at all happy. I will try to go down to take a picture tomorrow or Wednesday. If I learn anything more, I will post it. If anyone else has information, please add a comment or e-mail me at bayridgephantom@gmail.com

There are loads of places in the neighborhood where we can still go for great pizza. But Lento's was a good, simple, place with with 72 years of history. With it closed, something has been lost.

See article from Tuesday's NY Daily News

See two articles in Slice NY

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If that is true, I am very sad. Lentos was the site of my first date (an unfortunate event, but due to the ridiculous person opposite me and not the place). I last went there about 2 years ago, with hubby, son, Mom & THE PHANTOM, and although it has been awhile it was always nice to know Lentos was open & ready to serve their famous pizza. I hope all is well with the Lento family. All good things must come to an end.