February 25, 2006

Verizon Must Go!

Like a lot of other Brooklyn residents, I am very unhappy with the DSL Internet service provided by local phone company Verizon.

Verizon promises me speeds of " up to " 3000 kbits / second download. And at times ( 3am on a Tuesday, times like that ) I actually receive such speeds. But on peak evening times it often gets slow. Very slow. Like a trickle of maple syrup from a bottle that's been in the refrigerator.

But Verizon has an 800 number to deal with technical support issues. So, over the past two years, I have called them. Often. About a year ago, when there was a big slowdown, they first blamed it on my computer, then several calls later, told me that the fault was infrastructure repairs.

Another big slowdown began two weeks ago. And again they blame it on my PC. Except that this is a relatively new computer, only 8 months old. It does everything well, other than ( allegedly ) internet access.

I have reached my wits end, and a week ago, I called Time Warner Cable to place an order for Cable Internet service. And I am giving them my phone service too. I want to punish Verizon.

On March 10, I will have Cable Internet service. We'll see if my computer is the problem!

No comments: