May 21, 2007

Off to China


Well, not quite yet. But yesterday, I purchased a round trip ticket on Continental Airlines' nonstop flight from Newark to Beijing. I'll be leaving on Saturday, August 4, and will be in China for ten days.

I'll be traveling with a few of my wandering friends, but will arrive in the Middle Kingdom three days before they do. My working plan is to fly on to Shanghai, spend some days in that modern city, then perhaps take the sleeper train back to Beijing. This way, I'll be rested and have a Chinese city under my belt when that jet-lagged bunch arrives.

What do do in Beijing? Great Wall. Forbidden City. Eat Peking Duck in the restaurant where it was invented. Watch the Yankee game live at 7am. Can't wait.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi there! I just discovered your blog - it's great to keep up with what's going on in Bay Ridge since I no longer live there.

Anyway - I'm not sure if you're going with friends who speak Mandarin, or if you do, but here's a great book I'd recommend for a beginner :

The Everything Speaking Mandarin Chinese Book by JF Grasso.

I had the pleasure of teaching Mandarin to a neighbor who went on a whirlwind 15 city 3 week tour for his metal band - who knew metal was so huge in China?

BTW you might find this funny:
http://www.atomfilms.com/film/name_yu_ming.jsp

Hope you have a great trip and look forward to reading about it!