It now makes it easy for Bay Ridge / Sunset Park / other Brooklyn residents to take the subway to JFK Airport. But there are surprisingly easy mass transit options to each of the three area airports. Here's how you do it.
To JFK Airport
- Take Manhattan bound R train to Jay Street / Metrotech. Take the escalator by the second car.
- Transfer to the Far Rockaway or Rockaway Park bound A train to Howard Beach / JFK station. ( second or third car )
- Take the JFK Airtrain ( $5 fare, paid with MetroCard ) right to your terminal.
- Take N train through Manhattan and into Astoria. Get off at Astoria Boulevard and take the stairs by the second or third car
- Follow the sign to LaGuardia bound M60 bus and take the bus to your terminal. Free transfer with MetroCard.
To Newark Airport
- Take R train to Cortlandt Street. Exit by the front of the train
- Walk 2-3 blocks to the PATH train. Use your MetroCard to pay $1.75 fare. Take PATH to last stop at Newark Penn Station.
- Walk down " Westbound trains " ramp. Using the NJ Transit ticket machine on the platform, use debit / credit card or cash to buy NJ Transit ticket to Newark Airport Station ( $8.25 each way ) . Take the next westbound NJ Transit train that will stop at " EWR ". ( Some, not all Northeast Corridor or North Jersey Coast Line trains stop at EWR - ask the conductor to make sure you are on the right train ) Hold on to your ticket
- Exit at Newark Airport station. Take the escalator up to the gate where you use your ticket to pass to the Newark Airtrain.
- Take Airtrain to your terminal
I personally find the N/M60 route to LaGuardia the easiest, since the trains and buses run frequently at all hours. The R /A/ Airtrain to JFK may now be just as easy. The connection to Newark is slower and more involved, and is not recommended at past the night rush hour when there can be long gaps between NJT trains. But when the stars are right it works fine- especially during rush hour, when cars run slow.
Save a few bucks, and give 'em a try. Your next trip to Honolulu or London begins with the N or R train!